As much as I love my oatmeal, not least testified by my blog name, I’m not one to stick to boring banana oats everyday. Yesterday I came across this recipe and was fascinated. Vinegar in oatmeal? Sure we’ve heard of balsamic cherries and strawberries, but in oatmeal? Won’t it be kind of sour? Intrigued by the combination, I set to test it out with a pricey aged balsamic vinegar (Il Borgo del Balsamico of Modena, orange label) that I recently invested in.
This was Golly Gosh Good with capital ‘G’s! The alcoholic sweetness of the roasted cherries was great on its own but with the balsamic vinegar , it was like cherries on steroids! It all went down heavenly with the chewy doughy protein oatmeal, which I cooked in leftover frozen bananas + Maranatha maple almond butter drizzled over. I’m so glad I discovered and tried out this combination of balsamic vinegar oatmeal. You should too!
Balsamic Cherry Oatmeal
For the Roasted Cherries
- 1/2 cup cherries, pitted
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp honey (optional – I omitted)
For the Oatmeal
- 1/4 cup oats (I used 2 tbsp each of Scottish oats + steel cut oats)
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 3 tbsp soy milk
- 1 tbsp coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp chia seeds
- 1/4 frozen banana, mashed (optional)
- 1/4 tsp almond (or vanilla) extract
- Dash of ground cinnamon
- Garden of life + sesame protein powder
- 1-2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350°F/175°C.
- Place cherries in a roasting pan and pour water(+honey, if using) over. Roast for 20 mins.
- Make oatmeal. Boil oats and chia seeds in water/milk until desired consistency. Mix in banana (if using), seasonings and protein powder towards the last 5 mins.
- Pour oatmeal out onto a plate, top with roasted cherries and drizzle with balsamic vinegar and other toppings of your choice (e.g. nut butters).
The cherries did not release their juices as they should have. I’d use a smaller roasting pan next time.
I’ll try roasting the cherries with the vinegar next time, instead of drizzling it on top of the roasted cherries. Perhaps this may help infuse the vinegar into the cherries even more?